Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Mas Observations 2014: Bullets, Animals, Tom and Jerry, Mascara and Liverpool


Mass Observation

Paper shielding heads from the rain, fictional coats and pleading gazes at the grey smothering the sun.

Windows cracked open to smell the air where buildings stand tall above trees bleeding green.  The

ground almost a mirror where the rain drops have spread. 

People dash from temporary shelter to shelter.

Someone's mascara has run.


Delilah May                                              



LIVERPOOL SCORE
The pub is filling at a steady pace with red and blue shirts awaiting the Merseyside Derby. Two elderly men sitting near the bar are already drunk and discuss the team line ups in raucous enthusiastic voices.  

A member of staff emerges out of the kitchen carrying two plates of food and struggles to find who had ordered them. He asks around the table to see if anyone has ordered the food but no one knows where it belongs.

The match starts and immediately afterwards a scantily clad female member of staff emerges from the back and begins to move among the crowd selling some product. She avoids my table.

A woman in a Liverpool shirt and a terribly matched knee length patterned yellow skirt begins to bellow at the TV sets, her voice is a second, less welcoming commentary.

A small girl no older than 5 sits at the table in front of mine fidgets in her chair, wriggling with boredom, her toys are scattered on the table in front of her but she pays them no attention. Her father hands her a phone playing an episode of Spongebob Squarepants and she sits quietly to watch.

Liverpool score and the reds scream with the delight, the woman in the skirt is louder than the rest.

A group of men stand watching three people sitting around a table with their drinks. As two stand up to go to the bathroom the men look hopeful for a seat but the third person, a young pretty girl with short brown hair, stays in her seat. The men remain standing.

The bored girl has lost interest in Spongebob and is once again complaining of boredom, her dad tries to keep her quiet with little success. Dad phones mum for backup.

Everton score and the other half of the pub explode with joy. The woman is quiet this time.

A group leave their table when a leak starts from overhead, dripping into a half drunk glass. The staff bring out a bucket and apologise, replacing the drink.

 Janine Brough



A Series of Bullets

 

  • A group of girls walk alongside one another, laughing and joking as they make their way to their unknown destination. One girl wears a bright red coat that reaches the back of her knees, and her pale blonde hair is pulled up into a high pony tail. She laughs the loudest, as loudly as her coat stands out.


  • A car races along the street, and as quickly as it came, it is gone. A blur of electric blue amongst the grey, rainy background.



  • A boy walks passed in clunky, knee-high boots. His attire is all black, and his face is patterned with various piercings. Despite his tough exterior, he beams a smile at a supposed friend that he approaches, his smile warm and kind.


  • A family unload a car, hauling out bags and clothes and books upon books. The excitement they exude is infectious, their hope for the future evident.


  •  A tall boy with phoenix like red hair walks passed, lanky and towering above anyone who passes him.
 

  • A woman with platinum blonde hair strode towards her car with an air of wealth and grace surrounding her. Her oversized, chocolate brown coat was lined with a thick fur that shielded her against the cold breeze.  

Chloe-Sue Howarth

 

Day 5 at Edge Hill University. 10:40am

I’m finding it really odd that I can smell chips near a sporting centre. Surely it should be salad, vegetables, and meat? The smell reminds me of holidays in Norfolk, where all you could smell on the walk down to the beach was chips, burgers and hot dogs because of the fast food outlets dotted along the road.

I’ve now had to stand in the shelter because it’s raining. Again. It’s like someone’s got their thumb over a hosepipe and the fine mist is spraying everywhere. It’s that really fine rain that soaks you more than heavy rain. It’s definitely coat wearing weather.

I’ve just seen a man casually stroll in to the Wilson Centre – with plenty of ‘swag’ as the youth would say – in a white t-shirt, which is possibly the worst thing he could’ve worn on a day like today. How brave is he? Mind you, with his dreadlocks hanging down to his waist I don’t think he’s going to let a bit of rain cramp his style. This man oozes cool.

Now there are people in shorts. Do they not realise they’re living in England? It’s not even summer anymore! At least they’ve covered the top halves of their bodies in dark Edge Hill emblazoned hoodies. Their trainers squelch as they stride in to the building.

I’ve got to say, there’s more action round this side of the Wilson Centre (I’m standing in front of a wet bench next to the running track), but then I am near Chancellors Court and Chancellors South. Two older (not old) women, that I passed on the way to the Social and Psychological Sciences building have just passed me again, their ever so slightly Scottish accents ringing in my ears. It’s a shame there aren’t more people talking down here, I do love an accent.

An absolutely beautiful Golden Labrador has just padded past me, his loyalty apparent as he walks directly at the side of his owner. He’s a guide dog, ready for duty in his white harness and luminous yellow lead, but still showing that he’s a typical Lab with his chunky, always wagging tail. I think my heart just melted.

Two girls are just discussing the change in lyrics in the song ‘Baa, Baa Black Sheep’:

“They’ve changed it from black sheep to rainbow sheep because they say it’s racist”. Their voices trail off as they continue on their way, and I can’t hear the rest of the conversation.

                There’s some clear In-group out-group divide on the field inside the track. There are two groups of birds, of different species, huddled in their separate groups. It’s loosely reflecting the behaviour of the students today, who happen to be giving me strange looks while I’m writing. The birds are staying in their little groups, like the students, and aren’t mixing with the others. Yet there are the odd few birds who don’t seem to care about social convention and wander about on their own like they don’t need friends. The “ain’t nobody got time for that” video springs to mind at this point. You go independent birds!

 The pungent smell of burgers reaches my nose. Inside I’m drifting on the smell like Tom from the Tom and Jerry cartoons. They smell delectable!

Jenna Shaw


Animal Watching

Crunch, clip, crunch.  The sound of my boots scuffing along the ground is the only sound that I hear at first.  A soft breeze tussles my hair as I walk, large head phones hung heavily around my neck.  I continue along the path, the 3G pitch up ahead.  On my left I hear shouts, a wolf-whistle here and there.  I don’t turn my head, I know they are directed at me.  Some of the boys behind the fencing of the football pitch stare out at me as I walk.  I hate when guys do that, ogling at you.  The thought instantly transports me to the memory of kennels as a kid, or even the zoo, walking past these eyes.  They could be staring, or they might not be, doesn’t matter really, the self-conscious part of you will always be convinced that someone, somewhere, is staring. 

I make the conscious decision not to look around at them.  I focus instead on the crunch of my boots as I look to the recently planted trees in the distance.  I try to listen to the other sounds that reach my ears now, two girls behind me, deep in conversation about another girl in their halls and the antics of the night before.  Up ahead, the 3G pitch is looming, lads in brightly coloured shirts run to and fro, their bulky builds a dead give-away to the sport that they play.  As I draw near I can hear the breathed out responses and the complaints for some to pull their weight.  One lad hucks a wad of spit out onto the artificial grass, the guy behind him pulls up the bottom of his shirt to wipe away the sweat dripping down his face.  I pause by the metal frames designed for working your upper body and watch them for a few minutes.  One team makes some distance before they are in a scrum once more. 

Moments later I look away, attention drawn instantly to the quick succession of footfalls that seems to be drawing near.  A girl silhouetted against the clear September sky makes her way towards me.  I watch her as she nears, her head up, back straight, her feet maintaining a steady rhythm.  Her ponytail swishes back and forth with her body’s momentum.  Everything from the clearly expensive, fluorescent running shoes to the lightweight jacket she wears tells me this run is not the only one she’ll be doing this week.  She has the figure of a runner, or rather, how one would perceive a “running-figure” to look like.  I wouldn’t really know though, I don’t run.  As she passes, I can hear the buzzing akin to angry wasps blasting from her earphones.  The sound is too distorted to figure the genre but the drum beat sounds a lot like a song I was just listening to, perhaps alternative rock?  Her footsteps fade behind me as she continues on her journey, I proceed on mine. 

It’s quiet for a while as I make my way over the crest of the hill, the sun illuminating the scenery before me.  Fields and trees in the distance are seemingly engulfed in an early afternoon mist.  Overhead I hear a number of honks and squawks.  I look up thinking I might see a couple of ducks or maybe a few seagulls, but I am wrong.  Overhead, honking and jostling for a position in a large V formation is a flock of geese.  Their wings beat relentlessly as they attempt to maintain the speed and height of their kin.  The strongest goose always flies at the front, but as I watch the large V shifts into four separate V-formations all with their own decided leader.  Over a hundred geese organise themselves above my head and fly on towards the sun.  Such a sight I have only ever witnessed on TV or read about in books but when it is above your head it is so much more believable, captivating.  I look around to the landscape before me momentarily inspired by the sight I have just witnessed, and I smile.  I am happy to be here.

Mary Carleton

 

No comments: