Friday, September 26, 2014

Mass Observation 2014: Tables, Exits, Bus stops and Timed Studies


ROUND WHITE TABLES

 

Round white tables; some filled, others empty, as students chat or work. There are no books in this area but the back wall holds darkened doors, leading to the private group rooms. It's a bright room, made for study, and yet it is also a place for social interaction, what with the sofas in the corner. The vending machine stands waiting for the hungry to approach, packed with tempting treats, as does the cafe section.

 

Slowly, the room empties as the hour mark closes in and people leave for lessons. They turn off the computers, put away books and gather coats and bags. The noise level drops as they filter out, and the ones who take their place are silent and alone.

 

The pattern on the carpet, ignored by most, draws the eye of the bored and the blocked: lines of colour blending into each other, each tile alternating in direction. It is complex but still simple as it fades from the mind to become just the floor.

 

Bethany Gimbert

 

 

EXITS

 

A blonde exits the security building in haste, feebly, slowing to a walk as with swept-back hair and fixed expression she strides steadily along the road. Behind her ambles a young man, sleepily bemused in appearance and behind him, visible only by the high-vis jacket and repetitive, patient striding between barrier and security building, an official whose brief conversations through car windows suggests a parking management role.

From my stony doorway (made comfortable by my bag) I observe a true technophile, blonde and buried in her Iphone as she makes her way along the plant lined road. On one side, green lawn, on the other bushes bearing flowers of yellow and white. She, like so many, bends against the bad weather, its gusting wind and fine, wind-borne rain.

A trio walks past the other way, headed for the uni exit, clustering beneath a brolly, on the left,a girl in red, in the centre, one wearing a thin floral print top and on the right, one more bearing a bright white handbag of considerable size.

As they round the corner my gaze comes to rest on a bright red industrial lifter vehicle, sporting a consignment of slabs, the top one of which is immediately grabbed up by a young man who, exchanging a few words with the driver, heads off to his work as the red vehicle also pulls away.

Entering in a hurry two female students,,one in a red hoody and shorts, the other in white coat and jeans running easily along the pavement catch my eye till, from close to my doorway comes a male student exiting fast, following only his desire to leave and no road or path between.

As he nears the security hut and takes a corner beyond my sight I spy a woman beneath a blue umbrella in brief conversation with a friend, which leads me to spot many other such encounters taking place on this rainy morning at this entrance to education.

The lounges of the student halls directly opposite me appear largely empty, save where a uniformed girl does a little tidying, while on the floor above another sits at a table, absorbed in I know not what.

My gaze returning earthwards I spot yet another student in the trickle leaving edge hill, looking around with grim expression at sky, student and building alike. Over one shoulder hangs a sports bag held loosely as he strides past swaying plants, granting the following eye a glimpse of an old-style caravan.

Stood up at last and braving the clammy, clinging weather I survey the front of the arts centre, the girl stood there all in black, her bright orange handbag bold and bright in contrast. My walk to the library takes me past students clutching bedding and bearing grim, harrassed expressions as they plod past me.  

 

Oliver Thomas

 

 

 

BUS STOP EMPTY

 

Trees are swaying, a result of the wind. Rain falls from the sky, causing the road and pavement to shine with wet gloss, emphasised by a few puddles. There are three people waiting at a bus stop. One sneezes repeatedly. On the opposite side of the road, a girl walks by, with a glum face, talking on her green phone. Behind her, a boy and girl walk, holding each other’s hands. In her other hand, she holds an umbrella, and in his, he holds a Lucozade bottle. There are now four people at the bus stop. A girl wearing headphones, which have a lead plugging into her phone, stands on the other side of the bus stop to the other three people. Several cars pass by on the road. One drops off a young man, while another contain a grown couple. The latter has a baby carrier in the back.

It continues to rain, and a young woman wearing shorts and a hooded jacket passes by, but leaves her hood down. A boy wearing a sweater joins the bus stop people. He is soaked through from the rain. Another joins, meaning six people are now waiting. There is a black car parked opposite the bus stop, in the “taxis only” section. A wet boy, wearing a green raincoat and an umbrella, joins the bus stop crowd. The traffic light at the end of the road is constantly red. A large truck with a large mechanical arm on its back drives up the road, before an older man in a luminescent jacket sends it away. A girl in a pink coat arrives by taxi, and skips quickly through the rain, sheltering her face. Several people, all dressed in black, arrive simultaneously and walk almost in a crowd, but do not speak to each other.

There are now thirteen people at the bus stop. Opposite, a boy uses the cash machine, then joins the bus stop crowd. Another boy, carrying a large black Adidas bag, waiting in the rain on the pavement. The bus stop crowd all watch as a camper van drives by. The boy with the bag signals at a silver Skoda, which stops and lets him inside, before leaving. There are now sixteen people at the bus stop, when the bus arrives. There are now three cars parked in the “taxis only” section of the opposite road. The girl waiting at the bus stop wearing headphones doesn’t get on the bus. She gets into a silver Honda, parked in the “taxis only” section. The bus driver reads a sheet of paper over his steering wheel, then rubs his face with both hands. The girl wearing shorts returns, now carrying pillows and a duvet, she puts it in the boot of the black car parked in the “taxis only” section.

The bus driver switches on the bus’ engine, then drives away, leaving the bus stop empty.

 

Ryan Leder

 

 

 

Observational Studies

 

10:37

                An eager-looking boy with a large rucksack comes out the library, twirling batons in his hands as he walks in the opposite direction.  The way he moves his fingers is somewhat graceful.  I think he must be part of the Circus Society because he’s quite good at it.

 

10:38

                A young couple came out of the SU Bar, both smiling broadly and holding hands.  They cross by me and enter the Hub.

 

10:39

                A solemn girl comes from the racing track, her eyes scanning her phone and her brow creased in thought.  She does not pay attention to where she is going at all, and stumbles over her own feet.  Flushing red from embarrassment, she hurries by me, shoving her hands in her pockets and her eyes now glued to the ground.

 

10:40

                As I sit down on one of the benches next to the racing track, all I can hear is the wind.  I look up and wonder where the birds are… probably taking shelter in their trees somewhere.  I look in both directions, but no one seems to be coming.  I turn my attention to the track and notice how the leaves swirl around the floor, lifting up and pirouetting back down to the floor, their dark green standing out easily against the hard red.  The image makes me smile.  I’ve always loved watching the wind.

 

10:45

                Two girls clutching a big, black umbrella rush by, drawing their hoods over their eyes.  I’m thankful for the shelter above my bench, but wish I had brought a jumper with me.  I might like watching the rain, but I’m less keen on experiencing it.

 

10:46

                A girl in a red cardigan shuffles and shivers past me, pulling her arms around her in an attempt to warm her small frame.  The longer I sit on this bench, the colder I am.  I really wish I had a coat or something.

 

10:48

                Two female friends walk briskly together whilst chatting loudly to one another.  One takes a swig from the coke bottle she is carrying.  She moves like an English bulldog, shifting her weight strangely with each step and taking odd, lumbering steps.

 

10:49

                A fleet of white birds all waddle together far away in the middle of the racing track, their feathers fluttering in the breeze.  I suppose they can’t fly in the direction they are going because the wind is too strong.

 

10:50

                Four men, walking in pairs one behind the other, walk by at a steady pace.  They are all wearing bright yellow security jackets.  They all keep their heads down, sheltering their eyes from the rain.

 

10:55

                A boy from Creative Writing I’ve never spoken to but know as ‘Jake’ walks quickly by, his hands thrust into his pockets.  He notices me sitting on the bench and says “Hello,” then moves on.  I’m not sure whether he recognised me or just caught me looking at him.  I hope he doesn’t think I’m a creep.  I’ve made enough bad first impressions as it is.

 

10:57

                A rotund student lumbers by, his grey hoodie bearing the words “España Fun.”  I can’t help but think what a stupid jumper it is and wonder whether the name belongs to a company or an institution, or if they mean anything at all.  The boy wears khaki shorts, and his bare legs remind me of my naked arms.  A shiver courses through me.

 

10:59

                Two tall, chattering girls walk by me.  The hood over one of the girl’s eyes is so far down that I can only see her nose and mouth.  The odd look makes me let out a laugh.  I would be reminded of Assassin’s Creed or a Death Eater, but the poor girl looks so confused by the wind’s activity that she actually looks more like Beaker from The Muppets.

 

11:03

                Two boys with toned bodies walk across the racing track, their t-shirts showing off their hard work.  They walk confidently, as if they don’t have a care in the world.  I’m jealous of their self-assured airs.

 

11:06

                A tough looking man bearing sleeve tattoos slouches past.  Interested, I scan his arms, wondering what the markings might signify to him.  He catches me looking and I quickly avert my eyes, apologetic.  I feel nosy and rude.  I’m about to apologise when he throws me a hard look, as if my very existence disgusts him.  Suddenly I don’t want to say sorry anymore.  What an arse.

 

11:09

                The young couple I saw earlier head in my direction.  They are no longer holding hands, but are in deep conversation.  The girl stops as the wind rushes through her hair, pushing it in front of her face.  She starts to laugh and so does her boyfriend, who tucks it behind her ears, grinning.  I feel happy for them.  How cute.

 

11:11

                A girl in too tight trousers wanders past, her back slightly slouched and an unhappy expression on her face.  I can’t help but think she looks lonely.  I feel sorry for her.

 

11:13

                Andy from my dorm walks by me, looking confused.  The expression makes me want to laugh; he’s got such a good face for expressions, he reminds me of a cartoon character.  Everything is so exaggerated!  Smiling, I call out to him and at first he doesn’t hear me – I realise he isn’t wearing his hearing aids.  He notices me and tells me he’s late for a lecture and he hurries on.

 

11:15

                Andy walks back the other way, looking even more bewildered than before.  This time I don’t ask him anything.  He seems like he wants to be left alone.

 

11:20

                A buxom girl in an offensively garish pink jumper totters by, her bag slung at her elbow.  She is completely engulfed in her phone.  I notice the case – it is white and has a gold bow on it. It is horrible.

 

Isabelle (Izzy) Lamb                                                                                                           

 

 

 

No comments: