Monday, October 01, 2012

More Mass Observations


 

Observation in the Hub

 Observing inside the Hub, bird’s eye view style will hopefully hide the fact that I am currently watching what everyone is doing and won’t be quoted by everyone as ‘the weird girl who stares at people and writes in her book’. The beautiful smell of coffee is more noticeable than usual – good to know I am not the only person who needs a ‘pick me up’ – I have even seen two students holding very large coffees who are walking around in their pyjama bottoms which I feel is a brilliant idea. A lady sitting at a table who looks very fixated with her work has made my day as she is the first left hander, apart from myself, I have discovered at this university. The Noise is picking up a tad as more people seem to be venturing from their previous locations and coming here to mingle and grab some food. I am currently being stared at by a young couple opposite me. Dammit I will forever be known as weird.

 Emma Kevin

 

Mass Observation. The Hub.

 
Friday 28th September 2012

 
I’ve ordered a medium coffee and added two sugars to it – never a good idea. The queue for caffeine is yawning (I predict this will not last.)

 
Leggings are seemingly popular. I can’t think why. They hug the skin quite tightly and this can be unsightly in some cases. I think dark colours are best.


I have just heard a yelp like someone has stood on a dog’s paw, but I think it was a girl sat to my right who, whilst attempting to move its big heavy frame, scraped the feet of her chair along the ground. She has a red face and her chair seems to be expanding (or she is shrinking.) Maybe it’s because I’m staring at her. I’ll stop now.

 
The desk marked ‘New Students’ – which I assume, from the mountains of leaflets on the tabletop, is a helpdesk – has nobody behind it. So it’s not too helpful after all. Oh, no, wait; the lady at the desk was hidden from my view by a large placard. She is wearing a pea green jumper. I might visit the fish and chip shop tonight.

 
There are lots of female students with cavernous bags, which are practical and sensible in equal measure, but there are some with tiny bags, smaller than A4. I’m struggling to understand this in a University setting. My bag is medium sized.

 
The short lady with mousey brown hair, who works behind the coffee counter, is robotic in her work. Her wrists, elbows and shoulders appear to be hinged, and her movements are reminiscent of those large machines that construct cars on factory production lines. She has an incredibly nice smile too.

 
I have just seen a male student rise from his chair and walk away from his table but leave an empty water bottle behind. I followed his route from the Hub with my eyes, and it took him past three large, marked and brightly coloured recycle bins. I’d bet rather a large amount of money on the light in his dorm room being on right now. The odds would be shocking, though, so I won’t bother.

 
The word ‘at’ seems to be going rapidly out of fashion, replaced by the evermore popular @ symbol from computer keyboards. ‘McColl’s @ Edge Hill.’ I’m sure that they could have fit the entire word on there. Do the sign makers charge by the letter? If so then it makes sense to use the symbol in place of the word. I wonder if anybody else is wondering this.

 
A young man who shouldn’t be trying to grow a beard has just walked past. If I were the presumptuous type I might advise him that Gillette is the best a man can get. The hair is inconsistent in coverage and best described as tufty rather than bushy. It reminds me of the badger cull. Maybe I should start a petition against the cultivating of comedy beards.

 
Some of the chairs here in the Hub have comfy looking cushions on them; others do not. I’m sat on an example of the latter that is flanked on either side by much more comfortable looking cushion adorned types. I have made a terrible and perilous mistake. My bottom hurts.


An advert shown on one of the Hub televisions promotes a Sunday Times special named: ‘The 75 best places to work in the public sector.” I’m sure that numbers 9-12 on London’s Downing Street must have the top four locked out.

 Adam Hampton

 

Observations

In the Hub's upper floor a ring breaks the low continuous murmur of voices. A group is gathered to my left in a circle exchanging words and then looking back down at their phones. A laugh draws my attention to another group made up of six and their jovial laughter makes me curious to what event they are talking about.

Moving away from the hub through Hale Hall the noise subsides to a lull of muttering and then silence and I feel the peace but am interrupted by a whirring noise as I move on into reception. Here people pass by constantly but infrequently, two girls walking past phones in hands and bags tucked snugly into the crook of their arms. The swish of the automatic door behind me announces the arrival of a girl who appears to be in a hurry as her heavy footfalls reverberate in this relatively quiet space. A boy sits opposite me texting as the whirring noise from earlier continues to try and disrupt my thoughts. Again I hear the swish of the automatic door and a clatter as two boys exit the revolving doors.

I rejoin the Hub's vibrant atmosphere and it is a shock to my hearing as once again I’m assaulted by the constant chatter from the relative quiet of reception a queue is gathered at the cash machine and the place is in constant movement as a variety of staff and students pass by. 

 
Melissa Humpleby

 

 

A mass mess for the messy masses

 I walk past the library and a sign post. It looks like an interesting sign. I try and walk past and forget about it, but no, my brain pulls me back.

'You must read this sign! Maybe you can write about it! It could be amazing! All your future escapades could depend on what this sign says!'... 'Library Tours' and a list of times...Life changing. I mosey on.

Silly sign, Disguising itself like that, how dare it?

A woman runs past, looking like she is late for something, but still running like a woman. You know what I mean, womanlike, hands to the side, very poised and refined.

"Hiya!" She says in the - I'm late but I'll acknowledge you exist- panted whisper.

'Hi' I reply with a - no chance of conversation because of the circumstances - smile. Standard.

What is she late for? She reminds me of The White Rabbit, and she's blonde like Alice... I need to stop going to Wonderland.

Aaaaand just as Alice enters my mind, I cross to the arts centre and see hole dug into the ground by workmen... Not helping chaps!!!

I also edged past a car on the way, the friver was getting in while on the phone, so didn't hear my apology. But the car did, got to rmeember your manners.

And so I enter the performing arts centre and instantly step into a chatty bubble full of promise. So I sit slightly away from the many legged performing centipede, as it already seems to have a couple of writers perched on its back.

So here I have been sat, regaling the tale of a journey. I hope I haven't bored you. Pepsi time.
 
INTERMISSION

Ugh, awkward false smiles, ah well, she seems nice enough. Ok... now I'm gonna get a drink, be right back...

Hello again, had to settle for Coke, cherry. I was told I could get fivers from the cash machine... Missions. Can't spend less than a fiver on card. Coins it is!

The man behind the counter looks like a chef, jolly looking bloke, ears perked at the revolution that fivers can be received from uni cash machines.

Are they filling a hole or digging one? Can't tell, but they are doing something, something is being done. Might mosey back soon.

Stop singing you're disturbing the peace.

Pretty women... Boots can do wonders, aaahhh that's mean. They are pretty. Sweeney Todd

 Aaaahh they are light planting! Mystery solved!

 
Joshua Phillips

 

 
Mass observation


There’s a distinct cut in the skin of the sky, caused by the passing of a plane. It disappears behind clouds, dissecting the cool blue as it passes. The gardener snips a bush near me, the noise is repetitive, snip snip snip, a rhythm that is refusing to relent. I’m anticipating the arrival of the infamous ducks but alas they are nowhere to be seen, where do they hide?


People walking by keep hushing their conversations, almost like they think I’m going to take their words and note them in a sinister or judgmental way. I look down and see a brown cigarette nub settled amongst the grass, even though it’s surrounded by the grass it seems distinctly out of place and alien.


As I walk down the path a rabbit appears, escaping some invisible threat and reminds me of my home. Days in the emerald fields with the rich sun soaking into my skin and rabbits darting in the long grass. The sky has suddenly taken on a ominous form, grey and suffocating, the humidity seems to choke me. Where there was sun there is now a monstrous cloud, dominating the light.


I’ve spotted my first duck, floating in the reeds, it seems very neutral and content. It does not move but simply floats along with the wind’s assistance. A woman with loud heels walks behind me, the noise gains my ear’s attention and I turn to see her walking. Behind her follows a stocky man, his shoes create a low thudding noise. It’s interesting how many noises people’s feet can create, some walk with confidence and the noise reflects that. Others walk with so little noise so as to not draw any unwanted attention. Without warning the sun creeps from behind the clouds, shining onto the neatly cut grass. It creates a shine on the grass that mesmerises me, glistening like a precious jewel.


The buildings surround the pond look almost like they’re from a sixties film, metallic shutters, pastel green sides and long silver columns that shine in the sun light. The rain appears just as suddenly as the sun does, I put up my hood and cover the notebook pages from being speckled with the rain. I take this as a sign that my quiet observation needs to come to an end, nature seems to want me inside and for once I do not object.


Richard Gidlow

 

Mass Observation: Friday, September 28th, 2012

 

 I stop to take in the broad view on offer as I squat beside the Wilson

building, at the edge of the running track. A flocculent gathering of grey

clouds looming over the western side of a half-blue sky begin to drift

apart. Sparse rays peek from between their flossy edges, now adorned with

golden linings. Before long, the sun reveals itself in full, so grossly

incandescent amongst the dull aerial brume - it bathes me and my

surroundings in an aura of balmy yellow. The car-park situated on the

opposite side of the annular expanse of astroturf stretched out before me

hosts a variety of crowded vehicles shimmering in the distance, synthetic

pebbles gleaming on the shores of an artificial lake. There is an festival

ambience about the scene (contrary to the oppressive wintry episodes during

the last few days) which makes me recall sentiments of summers spent with

my closest friends.

 

 These pleasant memories, brought to my mind’s attention by the sun’s

warmth and my environment’s abstract appeal, conjure up feelings I cannot

accurately convey, feelings which immediately dwindle in intensity as I

look up from my notepad, scan the panorama for signs of life and find that

I am, rather surprisingly, still very much alone here. Present company

consists solely of a lime-coloured insect no bigger than the eye of a

needle (an aphid, maybe) which has sought a moment of respite from its

unknowable duties by resting itself on my right hand, perched on the

knuckle of my forefinger.

 

 The curious little thing is clearly content to stay where it is despite

the motion of my continued writing; I can just about see it waving its

peculiar antennae as if to greet me, before it is swiftly and suddenly

swept from my skin by a gust of wind. I silently lament the loss of my tiny

green acquaintance and ponder over our short-lived time together. How long

is a couple of minutes in bug-years? Perhaps we were friends.

 

Ryan Wetherby

 

 

 

MO - The Rose and the Woods

I decide to make my way towards the Rose Theatre, and my first observation is of the clouds blowing over from their morning rain, standing their ground, refusing to be routed in the wake of the sun. My second observation is of the flowers outside of the SIC. They seem relaxed, as most flowers do, not giving a shit really. I would say I would like to have it as easy as they do but they must be bored out of their minds.

I take a mental note of some people in front of me and their current behaviour. Wishing to write it down, I turn the corner around the SIC and look for somewhere dry to sit so that my scribble will be at least eligible by me. I spy a dry step on the bottom of the fire escape of the SIC and sit down. There were four people before. Three of them were using a mobile, and the fourth simply travelling to her destination. The first was a girl standing still, transfixed with her mobile, looking around periodically, possibly waiting for someone, cautious of the impending rain. The second was a guy walking towards me. He was walking so slow whilst on his mobile that he may as well have prioritised one or the other to speed up the completion of both tasks. Finally, another guy was seemingly managing what the previous guy hadn't, though I suspect he simply prioritised walking whilst allocating what little attention he had left to completing the task he desired on his mobile.

Footsteps and vibration.

A woman, wishing simply to be known as "Jackie from SIC", finds me on the fire escape huddling the side of the step which is in fact still dry. In an act of generosity which would not, and so far is not, out of place at Edge Hill University, she offers to show me a better place to sit. I accept, and continue to explain as requested the task that I was set, and how my current approach to it is to explore the Rose Theatre and the surrounding area, and how I was taking a minute to write down some notes.  Jackie takes me into the Rose Theatre building (which was as good a time as any to start exploring it) and takes me past numerous rooms both left and right, some toilets half way through, and finally to a pair of doors at the end which open up into a spacey, what I'm going to call, lounge, with a small shop for buying hot drinks and possibly other things. Had I been focused on the exploration rather than the recordation of my observational mental notes, I would have discovered more.

I take a seat in one of the many modern and comfy seats they have in there. Before I could look out at the woods as I had planned upon entering, seeking to find some sort of wildlife to observe, I find on the floor by my feet a fairly large spider (well larger than usual). Though nothing a shoe could not solve, for today, it would not. I am no expert on spiders, so I could not confidently identify it, however from memory I would guess that it was a harvester spider. I blow at the spider, to keep it away from me, and in doing so find it travels quite a distance when doing so. It has long legs and a small body  and seems to excel in camouflaging with wood, especially the kind found by the windows in the Rose Theatre lounge, resulting in me losing track of it a few times when it stayed still. This realisation introduced a paranoia common with people who are scared of, or just don't like, spiders. I check around me once more and continue observing. The spider walks with a kind of jig, almost in synch with the music which is playing in the background from some unknown source.

As I observe this spider (partly to observe it as part of the task and partly to make sure it doesn't get anywhere near me) I look up and out of the windows onto the woods and the backs of the SIC and the Library. Here I can see the odd person here and there walking past, going about their own business, though I suspect some at least were other creative writers looking for something to observe.

A flurry of leaves fall from either the trees or the grasp of the wind, announcing the arrival of autumn as they join their already fallen brethren. The spider is too close for comfort. I blow it away, fully aware that I may seem to others to be blowing air at the floor.

A small group of between 10 and 20 students have gathered and sat down a small distance away from me. It isn't so quiet that I can hear clearly, but they seem to be discussing their first activities on their course this year, at which point it comes to my attention that their lecturer or tutor is amongst them as he is discussing some sort of enrolment or registration problem with one of his students. Somehow this moves onto praising someone's recent work, and I become distracted once more.

The spider has come around the bottom of the table this time, and from my current angle I can't effectively blow it away. It walks around my chair, and I make a mental note of its location and continue with my notes.

I listen to my surroundings, and notice the sound of the staff at the shop at work, talking about something or the other whilst they work, their words clashing in the background with those from the group. The lounge works effectively, providing a casual and  relaxing environment, that is at least, in the absence of spiders.

Speaking of which, the spider has since been lost. I check carefully around me on the floor; where I had last seen it; on the chair; on my shoes; on my legs. My failure to find it leads me to the hope that it has camouflaged itself somewhere further away.

The sun returns, making a bold statement through the windows and onto the floor, refusing to give up the fight with the recent weather, the grandeur of which only lacks an epic fanfare. I still can't see that spider. The sun shines on the woods, reminding me of my wish to explore them as well, rather than looking upon the muddy, waterlogged area right outside the windows of the Rose Theatre lounge expecting to see some sort of spectacle to note down. I gather my things, and make my way.

And here, in the woods, where the water has gathered under the shade of the trees, we can see one of Edge Hill's most popular and revered creatures: the duck. Making use of what water they can find, and making as much noise as they wish, possibly protesting against the lack of an old woman, or a young child, or both, throwing bread at them. The ducks enjoy a new pond created at the bottom of a grassy slope by the recent rain, adding to their original pond, separated only by a path. But enough about ducks.

As expected, the woods are more developed further away from the Rose Theatre. A girl, I suspect another creative writer, writes notes whilst sitting under the shade of a tree on a stone wall. A man, amongst the scenery, rakes away at something, possibly leaves or preparing an area for more development. The rain begins its counter attack, but the sun holds it off. Within the woods are small, open grass areas, and areas shaded by the trees which must be popular in spring and early summer. There are other areas, areas hidden amongst carefully planted trees, bushes and flowers. They create hidden areas that call for exploration and offer a world of adventure for children. As I leave, a memorial plaque: "Jackie Glynn-Jones/We love you/We miss you/Family and friends". A reminder to live for those who cannot.

Ryan Sheasby

 
Mass Observation: Proven tricky when in a bad mood

 
Being assigned the lake as my observation spot seems almost like a

punishment as I step out into the crisp, cold air. My cold feet covered by

nothing but a pair of worn, wet vans slosh through the unavoidable puddles

as I stuff my hands into my pockets and follow my friend across campus; she

seems irritated –I try not to antagonise her.

 

The thick, grey clouds part for the first time in days, only to reveal an

equally grey sky. The icy wind, however, seems like a permanent fixture

here –one that some students clearly don’t seem to be too vulnerable to.

One boy walks past me; his extremely hairy legs burn into my soul as I

stare in horror at his bright, pastel-coloured denim shorts. As I sit in

the freezing cold with my long, green army coat buttoned up to my chin, I

can’t help but question if he feels that by wearing a knitted jumper, it

compensates for his serious lack of pants. Similarly, I begin to wonder if

the young girl sauntering past in a pair of thin leggings, patent t-bar

shoes and a thin three-quarter sleeved top really believes that the thick,

woolly hat she is wearing makes up for her forgetting to put on acceptable

clothes this morning.

 

-‘I’m going to wear a bikini to university today. But hey, it’s fine

because look- I’m wearing gloves.’

 

A large group of, what looks like third year students, are sitting behind

me. For a bunch of older, more mature individuals, it seems the ability to

act sensibly has escaped them; they are loud and rather obnoxious; enjoying

this cold, dreary Friday morning far too much for my liking.

 

I move away in an attempt to relieve my easily distracted mind from the

tiring competition for attention taking place behind me. I pull my bag onto

my shoulder and trudge along the waterlogged grass, past the well-behaved

ducks that seem utterly un-phased by the crowds of people around them –I

wish I knew their secret. ‘How do you become so desensitised to humans,

little ducks? Teach me how’.

 

As I’m walking away in irritation, I realise that today I seem extremely

susceptible to the negative qualities surrounding me. It is with this

thought that I close my notebook and decide to wait until my mood lifts to

continue observing my usually very positive surroundings.

 

Leigh Goodall




Mass Observation 

I stand near the top of the lake and see other people writing in their notebooks, I wonder if they are on the same course as me?, and what their writing is about?.

The sun is peeking out of the clouds now, but the grey clouds overhanging suggest it might rain again soon.  

I watch as the wind makes the foliage in the lake sway.

I can hear people laughing, and the water rushing from the water feature into the lake.

I can smell the rain from this morning, and people's strong deodorants as they walk by.

A board stands in front of me, saying what wildlife I can expect to see around the lake. I wonder if I will see all of them this year?.

A flock of birds shoot across the sky, and I wonder where they’re going?, I wonder if they notice the woman in the red coat writing about them, below them?.

I walk into the The faculty of education building and the warmth envelopes me - it's cold outside: winter is coming, but in here the weather does not affect me, neither does the season.

 After looking around the reception area and seeing people on the couches reading I wander out again.

 I travel past windows and see people inside the rooms on computers, and talking to one another. I ponder what their studying, if they live on campus? and what life stories they have?

Coming to the lake again I see the sun reflecting of it, making me want to capture the sight on camera so I can show my family what my campus is like.

 I walk towards the little bridge over the lake and walk across it, hearing my footsteps echo as I do so.

On one side of the bridge there is a waterfall: and I gaze at it for quite a while, and listen to it.  Will frogs jump across the rocks here? will other wildlife?.

On the other side of the bridge I see the lake again, and buildings: a blue building in particular captures my interest. Will some of my lectures be taught in there?.

 I see a gardener in a cap, jacket, and denim; he is cutting the plants.

 I feel something light fall on to me: and I notice that it is raining again - I am glad.

I come back to where I started from - my journey: for now is at its end.

 
Linda Golding

 

 Observations

The rushing of the pale stream that mirrors our forlorn, grey sky and the gentle breeze that rustles the weeds upon the bank is oddly tranquil. The wind guides the rippling waves of the lake and the outstretched plant life all in one direction, enigmatically, the passing students seem to follow the winds beckoning call too. Same direction, different reasons.

 

Three painters in full, traditional white overalls that were stained with jet black paint were gazing and closely inspecting a parked motorcycle, inspecting VERY closely. I doubt its theirs, looks like it bears a considerable amount of value to its name, perhaps it is one of the health tutors or students? I find myself staring and becoming entranced at its vehicular majesty also…

 

Upon closer observation of the lake, I see that the bank actually bore lavenders amongst the forest of elongated weeds that devoured most of the lakes edges. I'd be able to appreciate more of the intoxicating beauty of the lake if the sun would pierce through the relentless and persistent clouds of Britain for five damn minutes!

 

Funnily enough, as I finished writing my previous entry, the sun actually shone for a brief but humorously enjoyable moment of irony. But irony has betrayed me, it is now raining slightly, mocking me as it cruelly spits raindrops upon these pages.

 

As I have come to almost completely circle the lakes edges, I have noticed that an ominous stone totem overlooks the lake from the northern shoreline, on the field surrounded by park benches. It appears ancient yet sentient, and looks as if it is staring out to the lake, but also staring at me with its enigmatic radiance.The sound of the gardeners clippers sitting through the branches nearby snap me out of my observational trance, his hard labour bring me back to reality and I realise that I'm stood here in the bitter cold writing about a damn rock that probably is just there to look nice amongst the scenery. Still, it is eerie, if not a little bit interesting.

 

My pages are becoming drenched! I have now retreated inside for now, greeted with the silence of indoors and its warmth.     

 

Ryan Bolderston

 

Unknown Stalker

 

I am surrounded by green scenery that is forced into a powerful waltz by the ever so elegant northern breeze.  Plants are thrown from left to right, back and forth, whilst tinted by the reflecting dew that trickles its way towards freedom. They have created my boundary, from which I am to stalk unprepared foe.

A guy contained in leather bounces past, glancing over at me as my eyes remained fixated upon his every move.  Like a bird of prey I didn’t lose focus until I was prepared to jolt at him with enormous flight.  However, my attention is stolen by the movements of an older gentleman whose patience had finally given in which resulted in him braking the rules of the waiting game and went to sort himself out, as he so, he disappeared behind a blank white wall.  Once again my eyes are focused on one thing but my ears begin to zone in on another type of movement passed from another life form.  The clicking of heels pounding against the floor became hurried and frantic as the heels of authority shot passed much like a bullet to ensure that she made it to her pupils on time, as she went further into the distance the clanging and jingling of keys could be heard as they fell to slap themselves against the floor.

Doors behind me swung into action as they release a class of numerous amounts of males and females within the depths of the Faculty of Health and Social Care.  A few characters blinded by technology and walk at snail’s pace whilst desperately trying to ‘hook up’ with other friends. Shortly a group of girls flood out of the room, all lead by one loud mouthed girl, bitching about the happenings of the previous night.  Other groups debating between which nights, ‘so far’, has been the best whilst on the binge.  On the other hand a group of older men, who had red, white and blue stained aprons, spoke words of joy as they discussed the matter within the weather.  They had seemed to then congregate outside around a discarded motorbike.  I began to think about which one of them might have owned it, but none of them seemed to the ‘biker type’, as it were.  I focused on their faces and how they looked to get a clear understanding of which one might actually own this piece of machinery.  Then they noticed me staring, at first I wasn’t too sure on whether I should stop or carry on, so I carried on, and  they left with a fast pace behind their steps.

As I gazed out of the window, from which I was using as a see-through barrier to the open world of wonders, I noticed the storm clouds gathering above the institution.  People retreated for shelter under the porch ways and slipped through the double electronic doors.  A couple of girls huddled under one umbrella shuffled their way into the buildings where their hair would not become frizzy and their make-up would not be smudged… safety.  They had brought the umbrellas capacity to well over its limit. As the rain eased I saw another of my own kind. Perched on a wooden bridge, writing down exactly what he witnessed and I wonder how different it was to mine. So, I moved.

Outside the puddles polka-dotted floor on top of the various bricks that were laid.  I crept past a flock of windows in which a room was engulfed with clutter and technology.  Only selected people were able to be in this room.  A group of specialised people in their specialised subjects occupied the confined space which was being used to prepare themselves for the day ahead of them.  Then they began to spy on me as I was spying on them, so this time I fled.  Through another window I could witness a class of pupils filter their way into a room that read ‘Lecture Theatre’ which they flooded with their presence and battle to succeed the upcoming year of challenges.

Down the pathway a group of four were huddled together, puffing and sucking on a stick of tar and poison.  Their faces became clouded by the smoke that was being exhaled from more than one mouth… passing it on… disgusting if you ask me.  The air became smoggy and horrid as the smoke curled its way into the atmosphere and into passer byers mouths and lungs.  Whilst choking on this death smog I noticed another one like me.  This time he was more secluded as he camouflaged himself in with the jungle of plants he was swamped in.

The lake ripples and flows majestically whilst reflecting the very faint, very few beams of sunlight that had rebelled against the dismal clouds wishes of casting flood warnings and hell all over the country.  Unfortunately the battle was lost and the beams of hope, warmth and leisure were pushed back into isolation away from the humans that longed for it the most.  On my left a babbling brook casts a strangely relaxing sound as it crashed and tears its way through the rocks, stones and pebbles which was accompanied by the rustling of bushes.

My concentration was stolen again as footsteps were heard on the opposite side of the bushes.  I felt the need to investigate these peculiar footsteps that caused many queries’ within my mind.  A security guard strolls past with clear pride and authority.  He slithers his way through the gathering of metal monsters that are parked in an order of demand next to one another waiting for their master to return to deliver the key which provides convoluting waves of extreme power to get the revs going and the machine moving.  He greets a man who is stood trimming the hedges to make them look impressive to the ducks and to visitors.

In the distance, knowledge hungry, students file out of the Faculty of Education in vast amounts, chatting about what they had just learnt and what they will be doing now after receiving the amounts needed to cease their hunger. I know this because it’s what always happens after a class.  

It starts to rain again, and as the rain drops crash into the pavement I take one last glance over the picture that is imprinted into my mind, then, with one simultaneous movement pupils and teachers alike withdraw their umbrellas like weapons and raise hoods like assassins.  So I head indoors to remain dry to end my unknown stalker streak.

 Ryan Bremner-Wright

 

No comments: